The role of Island School counsellors are adjusted annually dependant on the qualification of the team members. Preference is for applicants who have skills in both Higher Education and school counselling however applicants with specialist skills in one area are also invited to apply.
- To provide guidance to students to help them manage their career goals and university/college applications successfully.
• To support the wellbeing of students at Island School in a variety of ways.
• Together with the Head of Careers & HE Guidance and other HE team members, assist in conducting group sessions and workshops in school to students, parents and staff and take responsibility for presentations on agreed specific destinations
• Organise meetings and presentations with HE representatives, including HE Fairs
• Assist in organising visits to HE events outside school
• Conduct guidance interviews and testing with students, advising students on appropriate choices
• Maintain contact and communication with HE institutions worldwide
• Attend and participate in professional development
• Forge good relations with teaching and support staff
• Working with parents, alumni, and the wider community, create mentoring opportunities, internships and career experiences
• Proactively liaising with the other Counsellors and the PSHE team over student issues
• Assessing the needs of individual students who have been referred and planning for a productive path forward
• Referring on to counsellors, psychological services or for medical treatment outside the school
• Supporting occasional training or information sessions, for both staff and parents, on such issues as emotional health, presenting factors, and strategies for support
- Minimum of Post Graduate qualifications in relevant areas of counselling
• Relevant counselling qualifications
• Previous experience especially in a guidance, counselling or advisory role
• Strong Inter-personal communication skills, listening skills; flexibility to respond to changing situations; ability to work under pressure; team-working skills; attention to detail
Closing Date: 12 Apr 2019