The role of the Head of English at Island School is to lead the team of teachers and educational assistants, to deliver exceptional quality MYP, IGCSE and IB Diploma courses.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing and developing the faculty’s written and taught curriculum.
- Taking responsibilities for academic standards within the faculty.
Faculty management and monitoring
- Leading, developing and supporting a productive, positive and effective team of staff.
- Leading and managing a team of postholders in the faculty.
- Running effective meetings and providing agendas and minutes of these meetings.
- Communicating effectively and efficiently within the faculty and with others in the school and its community.
- Enabling, supporting and managing the work of all support staff attached to the faculty.
- Informing the Vice Principal linked with the faculty of all relevant issues.
- Monitoring and evaluating the quality of teaching and learning at all levels within the faculty according to agreed school expectations.
- Ensuring that the faculty implements the school assessment policy effectively.
- Analysing and evaluating examination results and reporting outcomes to the Principal, Vice Principals and the School Council as appropriate.
- Ensuring an optimum physical environment for learning.
- Prioritising, planning and managing resources in the faculty.
- Liaising with the timetable team.
- Liaising with the Examinations Officer concerning examination entries and related matters including counselling of candidates.
- Supporting student development and achievement within the faculty.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating a faculty plan to support the School Development Plan.
- Leading the faculty in developing and improving teaching and learning.
- Leading the PRD (Professional Reflection and Development) process within the faculty.
- Identifying and planning professional development for and by staff within the faculty and across the school.
- Contributing to the school-wide and foundation-wide professional development programme.
Key accountabilities to the Principal and School Council:
- There is coherent development of the faculty in line with school-wide priorities.
- All staff are performing at a high level; underperformance is addressed according to school policies.
- Standards are high and judgments are based on evidence of value-added data.
- Contribution across the English Schools Foundation enriches the learning community, measured by involvement in innovation networks and initiatives.
- Fluency in at least one language taught by the faculty.
- A strong understanding of current pedagogy, with excellent practice exemplified in own teaching.
- Committed to the highest expectations of students and their learning.
- Previous school leadership experience.
- Able to inspire and motivate staff.
- High organisational standards.
- Able to communicate appropriately and sensitively.
- Able to use data effectively.
- Able to plan efficiently and manage change.
- Able to develop a coherent, well motivated, effective and efficient team.
- Able to make difficult decisions and take action when necessary.
- Able to coach colleagues through the PRD process.
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to professional development.
- Able to work with colleagues across the school to help make decisions that are in the best interests of the school as a whole.
Closing Date: 03 Dec 2019