Dear Parents and Caregivers
An integral component of an Island School education is service learning, incorporated into daily learning routines.
Engaging in service learning has ensured that for many years Island School graduates have developed skills, knowledge and attitudes which have driven future success.
Our school communities’ exceptional capability in this area has meant that we have done an extraordinary amount of good for many very worthy causes.
This year we are launching another layer to this activity through the Island School Alliance. The Alliance will form partnerships with businesses and NGO’s so as to create other layers of service. In doing so, we will enrich the education of our students and enrich the social fabric of Hong Kong.
As with most initiatives within our school this is a student lead activity that has the following key objectives:-
- Developing an Academy that will identify highly capable ESF and local students and connect them to cutting edge learning experiences that accelerate their learning.
- Promoting the learning of English language across Hong Kong
- Creating networks between ESF schools and local schools to share and enhance teaching practice.
- Generating scholarships for local school students and mentoring schemes that create pathways to universities.
- Linking ESF and local school students to influential corporate and NGO leaders to build influence and a greater understanding of the challenges that we will face in the future.
As the first activities for this year the Alliance is targeting the Katja House and Baiwan projects which are very close to our hearts. In the coming weeks you will see social media posts and emails about how you can get involved.
I ask that you look out for these communications and consider how you support our students in this exciting new venture.