Island School requires a full time Teacher of Science starting August 2018
The Island School Science Faculty is a dynamic and well organized team consisting of 13 teachers and 9 laboratory staff. The department is lead by an overall Head of Science and individual Heads of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
In Years 7 and 8 students follow a course loosely based on the ‘Exploring Science’ programme of study from the UK. In Year 9 students study a pre IGCSE course integrating some of the concepts and skills that will inspire and guide them in their future studies. In Years 10 and 11, students can choose to study Biology, Chemistry or Physics as separate Edexcel IGCSE’s. They also have the opportunity to study a number of exciting non exam based Science courses designed to prepare them better for their IB studies. Students in Years 12 and 13 can choose SL or HL Biology, Chemistry, Physics or SL Environmental Systems as part of the IB Diploma.
The Island School Science Faculty aims to provide a stimulating environment which develops inquiring, knowledgeable and deep thinking students in the context of an international and multicultural community. Through the teaching and learning of science, we aim to provide challenging learning opportunities that inspire students to excel. Our programmes of study promote a wide range of activities that offer opportunities for all individuals to reach their full potential and communicate their ideas articulately. To this end, we encourage students to be self-reflective and to take responsibility for their learning. We are committed to supplying a well balanced and demanding curriculum with rigorous assessments. All staff are supported by professional development opportunities to continue to be at the forefront of international education initiatives. The departmental ethos encourages staff and students to be principled, proactive, life-long learners in a caring environment of mutual respect
(This is a re-advertisement – Previous Applicants Need Not Apply)
• A relevant degree and postgraduate qualification in teaching.
• An ability to teach Biology up to a minimum of IGCSE (or equivalent).
• An ability to teach integrated Science in Years 7, 8 and 9.
• A willingness to teach cross-curricular concept based lessons that highlight student key learning skills.
• An enthusiastic and innovative approach to teaching.
• Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal and time management skills.
• An ability to integrate ICT into teaching and learning in Science and other lessons.
• The ability to work as part of a team and the willingness to help develop new resources within the school.
• The desire and ability to realize the potential of students of all abilities.
• An awareness of current educational developments worldwide.
• A commitment to pastoral care and extra-curricular activities within the school.
14 March 2018