Island School Technology Faculty seeks a well-qualified and motivated Digital Technologies teacher to start for September 2019. The ideal candidate will have experience in creating and effectively delivering high quality engineering and design courses with an interest in mechatronics and the integration of digital control technologies within product design. They will be confident with CADCAM technologies and be able to communicate their enthusiasm for the subject to the students they work with. IB/MYP or GCSE Design Technology: Systems and Control experience would be an advantage.
This is an exciting time in Island School Design Faculty development. The faculty has recently implemented MYP in Year 7 and this will continue in Year 8 which has substantially increased the time allocation in these years. This has led to a complete re-imagining of the courses in these years and has led to some interesting opportunities for students to develop their design skills within broader design contexts extending the MAKER culture in school. The curriculum in the middle school is very diverse. In addition to Cambridge IGCSE DT Systems and Control there are many elective technology teacher designed courses available through our Elements program – these include Robotics, How stuff works, 3D Product Design, F1 in schools, App Design and Web Technologies. In Year 12 and 13 we offer both IB Design & Technology and Computer Science.
Currently Island School is on 2 campuses in Tai Wai and Shatin Wai. On these sites we are in the process of expanding the making facilities beyond the technology rooms planning MAKER spaces on both sites. The current facilities include Carvey’s, 3D printers, Laser cutters and Vex robotics kits as well traditional workshop tools and equipment and students are encouraged to experiment with the possibilities of micro-controllers in many courses. We are also adding to our Denford CNC milling machine the necessary equipment to participate in F1 in schools. Moreover, as Island School will be moving back to its original campus in the heart of Hong Kong Island in 3 years we are also planning a new suite of design rooms for this brand new school. The goal as we move back to these facilities is to provide an open design environment that allows for fluidity of process across a range of resistant and compliant materials. ghThe D&T department is supported by two technicians whose input is invaluable to the quality of teaching and learning that takes place.
Island School is part of the English Schools Foundation (ESF). ESF has 5 secondary, 9 Primary and 5 Kindergarten schools in the organisation. This provides for a strong community of educational professional and all staff are supported by professional development opportunities to continue to be at the forefront of international education initiatives. The faculty ethos encourages staff and students to be principled, proactive, life-long learners in a caring environment of mutual respect.
The successful candidates should have:
- A relevant degree and postgraduate qualification in teaching.
- Be confident to teach a range of courses within the technology faculty across digital design, computing, design and technology
- Experience of basic coding using micro-controllers
- Knowledge and understanding of Fusion 360, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
- An open minded and flexible approach to teaching and learning and a desire to develop professional knowledge and skills
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal and time management skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team and the willingness to help develop new resources within the Faculty.
- The desire and ability to realize the potential of students of all abilities.
- An awareness of current educational developments in Technology education worldwide.
- A commitment to pastoral care and extra-curricular activities within the school