MTR Student Travel Scheme
The MTR will provide online applications for the academic year 2019/ 2020. Students are strongly encouraged to use this service.
Students who wish to enjoy concessionary MTR fares are required to use a Personalised Octopus. If students age 12 to 25 do not already possess a Personalised Octopus, they will need to apply for one with ‘Student Status’ for the start of this coming academic year.
“Student” – any person aged between 12 and 25 who is currently enrolled on a full-time day course offered by an acceptable institution in Hong Kong.
Validity of ‘Student Status”:
Year 7 – Valid for 3 years until 31 October 2022
Year 8 – Valid for 2 years until 31 October 2021
Year 9 – Valid for 1 year until 31 October 2020
Year 10 – Valid for 3 years until 31 October 2022
Year 11 – Valid for 2 years 31 until October 2021
Year 12 & 13 – Valid for 1 year until 31 October 2020, validity to be renewed on a yearly basis.
Online Application Method:
– complete and submit the application form via MTR website, www.mtr.com.hk;
– upload a recent colour passport photo (applicable to application for Personalised Octopus with “Student Status’ only);
– complete online payment by Credit Card or make payment to any MTR Customer Service Centre* (HK$90 for new application or HK$20 for Activation/ Renewal of “Student Status”; *Except Airport Express, Sunny Bay, Wong Chuk Hang, Lei Tung and South Horizons stations)
Application for Personalised octopus with “Student Status”:
Application fee: HK$90 including: –
- HK$50 refundable octopus deposit
- HK$20 non-refundable handling fee charged by Octopus Cards Limited
- HK$20 administration feee levied for MTR Student Travel Scheme
Students going into Year 10 in the 2019/ 2020 academic year who possess Personalised Octopus with “Student Status” are reminded that the “Student Status” on their octopus will expire on 31 October 2019. If their status is not activated/ renewed, full adult fares will be deducted from their Octopus from 1 November 2019 onwards.
Details about the Scheme can be found here.