Year 7 & 8 Curriculum
Junior Phase Team
Middle Years Programme
A typical Year 7 & 8 timetable
‘Island Learning’ is an academic subject that is taught in House groups and lies at the centre of our curriculum. It encourages students to make connection between their subjects and the real world. We picture these Island Learning units as being at the heart of our curriculum with bridges to all the other subjects giving them a joint, as well as individual meaning.
Circling around Island Learning (subject integrated units) are the individual subjects, taught by subject specialists:
- Mathematics, Click here to see FAQs about Mathematics Learning at Island School
- Languages – Chinese, French, and Spanish – Curriculum choices for languages other than English
- The Sciences
- Individuals and Societies (Humanities and Social Science)
- The Arts – Music, Drama and Visual Arts
- Middle Years Programme: Design – Product Design and Digital Design
- Health and Physical Education
These subjects engage the students in subject specific skills as well as the generic ones used across all subjects. The understanding students gain will equip them to make choices in future years about where to concentrate, develop and specialise. This eventually leads to choices for university and life beyond.
At Island School we believe strongly in what we call the integrity of childhood. Childhood is not just preparation for adult life, it is important and must be enjoyed for its own sake. By encouraging a love for learning we hope that Island School students become more responsible, creative, analytical, engaged and happy. We strongly echo the ESF vision that learning should be joyful.
Senior Head of House
& Year 7 Leader
Senior Head of House
& Year 8 Leader
Middle Years Programme Information
As an IB World School, Island School is a candidate school* for the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP). IB World Schools share a common philosophy – a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education – that we believe is important for our students.
From August 2018 Year 7 students will follow the Middle Years Programme curriculum, covering the following subject areas:
- Language and Literature in a first language
- Language Acquisition in second or foreign languages
- Individuals and Societies (formerly Humanities)
- Physical and Health Education
- Design: Design Technology, Textiles, Food, Digital Literacy
- The Arts: Music, Drama and Visual Art
The MYP is a challenging and balanced framework that enables students to learn through inquiry. It enables them to make links between rigourous subject knowledge and the world around them:
- Identities and relationships
- Orientation in space and time
- Personal and cultural expression
- Scientific and technical innovation
- Globalization and sustainability
- Fairness and development
As well as subject-specific skills, there is an emphasis on the development of learning-skills which span the curriculum:
- Social Skills
The MYP is a holistic programme that encompasses action and service learning.
* Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP), or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted. For further information about the IB and its programmes visit http://www.ibo.org.