The main role of the mathematics teacher is to maximise student learning and development through the planning, preparation and teaching of programmes which meet students’ individual learning needs and achieve specific student outcomes. Teachers teach a range of student abilities and classes and are accountable for the effective delivery of their programmes. These range from MYP in year 7 and 8, iGCSE in years 9 to 11 and the IB diploma in years 12 and 13. The classroom teacher engages in critical reflection in order to improve their knowledge and skills to better engage students and improve their learning.
Classroom teachers assume roles beyond the classroom in endeavouring to maximise students’ learning. These roles include working collaboratively with colleagues and other members of the school community, and communicating with parents and care-givers.
The classroom teacher’s contribution to the school goes beyond the classroom. They participate in the development of the school policies and programs and assist in the implementation of school priorities. All classroom teachers may be required to undertake other duties in addition to their teaching.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Managing a year level or subject area.
- Assisting with or managing an aspect of daily school management.
- Assisting year level co-ordinators, curriculum co-ordinators, student management co-ordinators, principal and vice principal with the performance of specific functions.
- Assisting with or managing a specialist function such as sport, careers, student welfare, excursions or camps co-ordination.
Minimum typical experience
- 1-3 years’ teaching experience within a recognised educational organisation
- Bachelor Degree in Education, or Bachelor Degree in mathematics or closely related subject with PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education), or equivalent
- Analysis / problem solving
- Team centered
Have a genuine passion and love of mathematics and an ability to share this with the students. Have a thorough knowledge of how students learn in mathematics, popular misconceptions and why they may make mistakes. A good knowledge of pedagogy and educational research is expected of all of our teachers.
Closing Date: 14 Feb 2020