To be responsible for leading and providing counselling services for students at Island School. The successful candidate will be part of a Student Support Services team which includes Social Workers, Social and Emotional Counsellors plus Higher Education Counsellors
To support the wellbeing of students at Island School in a variety of ways.
The role of Island School counsellors are adjusted annually dependent on the qualification of the team members. Preference is for applicants who have skills in both Higher Education and school counselling however applicants with specialist skills in one area are also invited to apply.
Lead and provide confidential personal counselling for students as individuals and groups;
- Work with families as and when necessary
- Maintain and monitor effective referral mechanisms, both for teachers and students
- Liaise with student development staff to ensure effective flow of information
- Employ appropriate assessment and screening tools.
Identify and respond to trends in student needs;
- Work with colleagues in the Access / Learning Support Teams as required;
- Develop and maintain relationships with government and community support services.
- Referring on to counsellors, psychological services or for medical treatment outside the school
Work on Health & Well being initiatives and with teaching teams to develop and implement the Island School Thrive programme.
- Supporting occasional training or information sessions, for both staff and parents, on such issues as emotional health, presenting factors, and strategies for support
- Working with parents, alumni, and the wider community, create mentoring, student support and career related opportunities
- Work with the Higher Education Counsellors to ensure student service programmes are embedded in the Thrive Programme with lead responsibility in the Middle phase.
- Bachelor degree (postgraduate qualifications preferred).
- Recognized Higher Degree in counseling, social work, educational psychology or other relevant discipline.
- Professional registration with recognized body. Minimum three years post-qualification practice with young people, preferably in an international school setting (but we are willing to consider those with highly relevant, transferable experience and skills).
Previous experience in a guidance, counselling or advisory role
Closing Date: 11 Mar 2020