I have been thrilled with the start to year. The classrooms that I have visited over the past two weeks have been busy and productive places where the student engagement has been exemplary.
I am exceedingly grateful for the way our new families have embraced and supported the new system for uniform supply. I have been contacted by a number of community members who have expressed their satisfaction with how that service has operated.
To maintain the momentum it is important that school and parents work together to ensure that every student:-
- Has set academic goals that will guide their development for the coming academic year.
- Is prepared for school every day by being suitably attired and having all of the materials they require.
- Has re-established a positive peer group. It is important that parents know the names of friends and are comfortable they bring out the best in their child.
- Is spending appropriate time completing homework and studying what they have learnt in class. I am an advocate for publishing a study timetable on the fridge and all family members working to support each young person to develop the skills necessary to stick with it. The schedule should include assessment dates.
- Is attending regularly. Missing school has a major effect on learning achievement and as the term continues students who experience difficulty can experience anxiety which is often confused with illness. Please monitor closely your child’s days off and if they climb to over 3 in any school term monitor the situation closely.
- Has signed on for extra-curricular activities which will add balance to their school life.
- Has established their travel routines.
In addition I ask that you actively support the school’s commitment to celebrating individuality. The area of greatest vulnerability remains the at home online environment. Parents are asked to be vigilant in providing appropriate supervision of their child’s use of technology and if they are concerned they should talk to their child’s tutor.
I feel confident that if we stay alert to these issues we will all be rewarded through strong student achievement.