Head of Science Department – Starting Aug 2018 or Jan 2019 -Closes 26 Feb 2018
Head of Science Department – Starting Aug 2018 or Jan 2019
Island School is seeking to appoint an outstanding leader to oversee the Science curriculum. This is a challenging role that would suit an experienced and passionate leader in this field. The role will include leading an extensive and varied Science programme. In the Senior Phase we offer IB Biology, Chemistry and Physics. From August 2018 we will be implementing the IB’s MYP programme into Year 7 and 8 while Years 9 to 11 follow our own Island Futures programme.
The description below is layered on top of a mainscale teachers’ Job Description. All TLR responsibility holders have a teaching responsibility.
The roles and responsibilities of the Head of Science are:
• Leading the Curriculum Area in developing and improving teaching and learning according to The Learning Journey.
• Supporting student development and achievement within the Curriculum Area.
• Leading, developing and supporting a productive, positive and effective team of staff.
• Monitoring and evaluating the quality of teaching and learning at all levels within the Curriculum Area according to agreed school expectations.
• Developing and evaluating the vision, priorities and goals for the Curriculum Area Plan to support the School Development Plan, implementing this plan.
• Being aware of the particular goals of all programmes including IB Diploma, Applied learning Pathway, Island Futures and the MYP. Ensuring the department works towards these goals.
• Managing Professional Reflection and Development (PRD) for the Curriculum Area, initiating conversations as required.
• Communicating effectively and efficiently within the Curriculum Area and with others in the school and its community.
• Developing a meeting structure for the Curriculum Area. Running effective meetings and providing agendas and minutes of these meetings.
• Developing and implementing agreed school policies, actively promoting a whole school vision.
• Working as part of the Leadership Team through the Curriculum Leaders Group to innovate, develop and implement whole school priorities. Leadership of a development team on a rotational basis.
• Enabling, supporting and managing the work of all support staff attached to the Curriculum Area.
• Informing the Senior Staff member linked with the Curriculum Area of all relevant issues.
• Coordinating and monitoring co-curricular activities provided by the Curriculum Area and by individuals within the Curriculum Area.
• Identifying and planning professional development and in-service training for and by staff within the Curriculum Area and across the school.
• Leading and managing a team of postholders and teachers in Curriculum Area.
• Managing and developing the curriculum through regular review of schemes of work.
• Ensuring that students’ work is regularly assessed and the assessments recorded.
• Analysing and evaluating examination results and reporting outcomes to the Principal, Vice Princi
• Coherent development of the Curriculum Area.
• All staff performing at a high level and/or underperformance is addressed, evidenced through Performance Management data.
• Standards are high and judgements are based on evidence of value-added data.
• Contribution across the Foundation enriches the learning community, measured by involvement in innovation networks and initiatives.
• Accountable to the Principal and the School Council.
• A good teacher with very good relationships with students.
• Committed to the highest expectations of students and their learning.
• Previous school leadership experience.
• Able to inspire and motivate staff.
• High personal standards of meeting expectations, organization, paperwork, etc.
• Able to communicate appropriately.
• Able to use data appropriately.
• Able to plan efficiently and manage change.
• Able to develop a coherent, well motivated, effective and efficient team.
• Able to do the hard thing when necessary.
• Able to coach colleagues through the Performance Management process.
• Able to demonstrate a commitment to CPD.
• Able to work with colleagues in the Teaching and Learning Group to develop collaborative solutions.
• Experience of the IB’s Diploma and MYP Programme
• International School Experience
Closing Date: 26 Feb 2018