Arts Director (TLR 1)
The description below is layered on top of a teacher of Creative Art’s job description. All TLR responsibility holders have a teaching responsibility
The role of the Arts Director at Island School is to promote and encourage artistic activities at all levels of the school.
The Director will lead by the example of being personally involved in a variety of artistic activities and events which will mean a commitment to them after school hours and on weekends. He or she will create a culture of arts in the school, where all students feel they can and should engage in artistic endeavour, and all staff feel that being involved in supporting student arts is part of what makes Island School complete.
The Director will have line management of the Creative Arts departments within the school, which are Theatre, Music, Visual Art and Film. Each of these areas has a subject leader. The Director will have a reduced curriculum teaching load in one or more of these departments.
• Planning the arts activities and events programme throughout the year
• Engaging and encouraging staff members to run and be involved in these events
• Publicising the programme and encouraging students to take part
• Facilitating the administration of enrolment and signing up for these activities and events
• Facilitating the booking of venues for artistic activities and events
• Supporting staff members who engage in artistic activities, so they can carry out the activity with the minimum of impediment, and feel valued for doing so
• Engaging teachers and practitioners to work with our students at special events or
• Managing the arts section of the activities budget
• Raising the profile of Creative Arts throughout the school with students, staff and parents
• Ensuring clear communication with parents over the availability of activities, where and when they take place and any unforeseen cancelations
• Giving students the opportunity to perform and compete at the highest possible level in a wide variety of sports
• Contributing to the development of the assessment system to include activities
• Celebrating artistic success and achievement
• Collaborating with Heads of Curriculum Arts subjects in the use of human physical and temporal resources
• Supporting the Heads of Curriculum Arts subjects through Professional Reflection and Development.
Requirements• Relevant degree and post graduate teaching qualification
• Experience leading Arts in schools
• To be able to liaise with parents, careers and colleagues in an efficient and informative manner
Closing Date: 24 Jan 2017